I didn't add shaping to the pattern, so I decided to do it during blocking. I used the smallest bowls I could find. Makes me laugh to look at it.


The end is in sight.

Several ends - to weave in.

I can see that my cardigan knitting IQ has increased a little since my last one, which is a very good sign. For example, one of my pet peeves is to have the back of the collar ride up and show the seam. It is a problem I have with the red Rowan Yorkshire Tweed jacket I knit a couple of years ago. Now I know to put short rows in the back of the collar to make it longer/higher, and it fits so much better this way.

I tried the cardigan on and I think it is destined to become a favorite.

Next I will weave in the ends, give it a good soak and block it, and then find buttons. Wood or pewter are my first two thoughts on buttons, but I am open to inspiration. I don't want them to be a show piece but rather a compliment to the cardigan.



On my third attempt, I decided to dust off the grey cells and use some brain power.

I decided to do the math. I measured the number of rows per inch, and then measured the front center edge. I multiplied the number of rows per inch times the total number of inches to see approximately how many rows I had. I decided to try picking up 3 stitches for every 4 rows again, 3/4 which is 75%, and I multiplied the total number of rows by this which gave me the number of stitches I should pick up. That made it a little easier because then I knew how many stitches I should have picked up halfway down the button band, checked my number of stitches, and then did the same thing on the last half of the button band. I was really pleased to see it came out well enough that I could be happy with it. Now to do it again on the other side. Now what were those numbers? Why do I always assume I can remember things??!


Now you know one of my deep dark secrets... I am button band challenged. Trying to pick up the correct amount of stitches makes me perspire. On my first attempt, I tried to pick up 2 stitches for every 3, and this time I was trying to pick up 3 stitches for every 4.

Too few stitches. This is beginning to sound a little bit like the three bears in the Goldilocks story.

I think this can be corrected somewhat with blocking. maybe. I won't rip it out yet. I like the way the buttonholes turned out - not too obvious and well spaced.


My button band is trying to imitate ribbon candy.

I picked up too many stitches. blast. Another learning experience.


Time to have something other than vegetables to look at on the blog.

The recent ingredients of my life...

Move my son to college. It is the same college that my daughter attends.

Fill my living room with furniture and stuff that will be leaving my home. Yard sale!

Stack wood. Warmth for the winter.

Teach sock knitting at my LYS

Through it all, try to keep up with my home business and prepare teaching materials for fall term at the community college.

A little bit of knitting. A cardigan I started last spring.

And in the midst of it all, a very sweet treat from a lovely knitter who lives several thousand miles away.

Posh Yarn. yummy, yummy, yummy. pretty, pretty, pretty. Thank you, Susan, it is perfect.