I had a day off last Sunday and decided to squeeze in as much fiber fun as I could.
I wound the 2-ply handspun off the bobbin, soaked it, and hung it. It is fingering to sport weight and will become socks.
It came from these two braids of BFL from Capistrano Fiber Arts purchased at Black Sheep Gathering...
I tried a dyeing experiment on my garter stitch shawl. This is the shawl that was knit out of my first 2-ply handspun that I dyed in mushroom water. I smeared Chestnut-color dye on black plastic placed outside on a hot surface in the heat of the day. I got my shawl damp but not wet so that the dye would stay on the garter ridges instead of soaking all the way through. I messed up and the dye pooled on the plastic. I decided to add a little vermillion to give it highlights, so I put dye in a pie pan and dripped/painted it on the scarf with a rolled-up paper towel. Afterwards, I heated the shawl in the microwave for a minute or two and then soaked it in vinegar water to really set the vermillion color. It turned out different from my goal, but I actually still like it and will wear it next season.
It is hard to show the exact color....
I was asked to test knit some sock yarn for my LYS.
Yarn: Kraemer Yarns Saucon Sock yarn. I prefer wool yarn, but this cotton and acrylic sock yarn was nice to work with. It was not splitty and held up well even after being ripped a couple of times.
Pattern: Waving Lace socks from Interweave Knits magazine.
The color is actually a darker medium blue. I had to use the flash to coax my camera to show the stitch pattern.
Lastly, I cast on the Honeybee Stole
, a Knit Spot pattern. Anne is one of my favorite designers and bloggers. Two rows of lace does not make an interesting picture.