7.31.2007

I thought it could not happen to me

Startitis - Genus: Caston, Species: multitudinus. Symptoms of infection: The overwhelming impulse to cast on knitting projects regardless of the number of projects already started or the shortage of knitting needles.

I thought I was immune.

I thought I had sufficient self-imposed rules in place to inoculate me.
Rule #1 - Only one large project and one small project on the needles at any given time.
Rule #2 - No more scarves or other items that are seldom used.
Rule #3 - When on a deadline focus solely on the deadline project.
These rules make sense to me and keep me from the frustration of too many WIPs.

Somehow I became infected by a virulent strain of startitis.

I have had one small outbreak so far - a Noro scarf. I started this last night while trying to focus on work.


Oh, and I want to start Clapotis - I already have the yarn.

And of course there is the Bee Fields shawl that I am going to start as soon as I get the proper needles.

And before too long I need to start Thermal.

Oh, and there is that sweater (Notre Dame) from Interweave Knits that I want to be able to wear this winter.

Not to mention the garter stitch vest I want to knit (no pattern) out of the Yorkshire Tweed leftovers.

This may seem minor, but it only takes one small step and then it is a slippery slope down the road of 'too many WIPs to finish in my lifetime'. I mean, I have the Rogue sweater that has to be finished in less than a month!!

Now having said all that, I am enjoying this Noro project immensely. I cast on 31 stitches, 1x1 rib, alternate colorways every 2 rows. There is a beautiful example of it here and here.

5 Comments:

At 7/31/2007 , Blogger MollyKnits said...

I wish there was a cure for "startits!" I am trying to finish up all my unfinished bits before starting the yarn diet.

 
At 8/01/2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah... I was so good at the "one small project, one large project" mode for so long, but now I'm traveling head-long down that slippery slope!

 
At 8/01/2007 , Blogger susan said...

Thermal is on my to do list too!

 
At 8/03/2007 , Blogger annmarie said...

last summer i got hit with the finishitis virus, but this summer there must be something different in the drinking water because i've got a serious case of startitis myself. and i love the notre dame sweater also ..sigh.. so it looks like one more project sucks me in. ;)

 
At 8/20/2007 , Blogger Courtney said...

I really want to make one of those Noro scarves, but I have too many other things on the needles. Yours looks great.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home