10.19.2008


I have had this cardigan out for a couple of test runs, and I like it very much.


Pattern: Top down, raglan sleeve construction. I was inspired by a cardigan I saw on Pat's Knitting and Quilting. I followed a pattern by Knitting Pure and Simple but I made a few modifications:
  • I had to adjust for guage since the yarn I used is aran weight instead of the bulky the pattern calls for.
  • I did a tubular castoff on the bottom edge; it was my first experience with this technique and I am excited about it. I used a simple 1x1 rib at the bottom because it is not an area to which I want to draw attention.
  • I left the cuff of the sleeves wide at the bottom because I don't like the feel of tight cuffs.
  • I modified the collar by using short rows to raise up the back of the collar and also to lengthen it to cover the seam.

YARN: Rowan Yorkshire Tweed Chunky in Coast, a military blue (hard to capture).

A few days after I sewed on the buttons, I found the perfect buttons online. I just might have to order them and make a switch. The buttons I have on it now leave me kind of lukewarm.

Overall, it was a success and I am very content with it.

4 Comments:

At 10/20/2008 , Blogger Lynn said...

You know me: I am all about the buttons. These are nice enough, but if you have buttons you *love*, that justifies the fiddling necessary to switch them out. At least in my world!

I have yet to try that tubular cast-off. I just did my first hemmed sock cuff [Eleanora by MimKnits], which I think was a good swatch for the Sunrise Circle Jacket's front edges. Very crisp and elegant.

Looks like you've got yourself a classic but non-boring workhorse sweater, ma'am! I'm feeling that Call of the Tweed myself; have you seen brooklyntweed's new tweed cashmere cowl?

 
At 10/20/2008 , Blogger Bea said...

Cute!

 
At 10/21/2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got to see this gem IN PERSON! The short row collar is FABULOUS! What a nice touch. And the whole beautiful look of the sweater on you tops it off.

My vote is for the "online" buttons. Since you are SO contented with this pretty thing....think of a way to jusify your purchase. I can help.....grin

 
At 10/23/2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice - love the yarn and it just looks so comfy!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home