2.12.2008

Leaves and Pi in progress

I got stuck on my leaves pullover. The pattern has a simple drop shoulder, but this type of shoulder is not a flattering shape for me, so I tried to do a different shoulder. The problem is I need to study shoulder construction before I can do this properly and I got stuck. I am going to get unstuck by ripping back below where I tried to "just do it" and then knit the simple drop shoulder that the pattern calls for. It is more important to me to finish this sweater. I will do an in-depth study of shoulder construction soon, as there are patterns I want to knit but have to change the shoulder/sleeve construction.

My puddle of Pi...
I am knitting E. Zimmermann's Pi Shawl pattern using Icelandic yarn and size 8 circular needle. Rather than a shawl, this will be a lightweight afghan for the bed or sofa. It will not be a soft, rub-on-your-cheek type of afghan, but it will be light and warm. I am having fun trying something new. The yarn comes in a wheel and has little to no twist to it. I have not had it pull apart while knitting, but if it did it would be easy to overlap the ends and keep knitting. Fun and easy.

4 Comments:

At 2/13/2008 , Blogger MollyKnits said...

Your shawl will be lovely, and I love the leaves cables. I am planing on making both the Pi shawl and the Pi are square shawl this summer. It'll be good knitting for classes.

 
At 2/14/2008 , Blogger AR said...

Oooh, that will be so pretty. Good luck with your sweater. I love brave knitters. Thanks for the compliments on my socks. :)

 
At 2/15/2008 , Blogger susan said...

Oh EZs pi shawl is on my to do list.

I thought I'd just do it plain with a lace border.

Though I've no idea what colour or yarn to use yet.

Those leaves really stand out, it looks great.

 
At 2/15/2008 , Blogger Yarnhog said...

Check out "The Handy Book of Sweater Patterns." There are charts in there showing exactly how to make all different sorts of shoulders based on size and gauge. They're very explicit: "BO x stitches beginning of next four rows, then y stitches beginning of next six rows" etc. All you have to do is find your size and gauge and follow the directions. I use my copy all the time when I'm designing my own stuff.

If that seems like too much trouble, you could do a modified drop shoulder just by binding off about an inch of stitches at the beginning of each armhole. That takes out a lot of the extra fabric at the top of the sleeve. (Just made sure you knit the sleeve and inch longer than the pattern calls for so that it will end up the right length when you sew it into the armhole.) Not quite as fitted as a fitted sleeve, but much tidier than a regular drop-shoulder.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home