1.29.2008

Seamless Shirtback pullover ready for service

This is the third and final time I will finish this Seamless Shirtback pullover. At last.

This is E.Z.'s recipe from her book "Knitting Without Tears". I knit this last spring for my son. I had him try it on before I soaked it, and it was too loose through the shoulders. So I ripped it down past the shoulders to where the sleeves were added and started again. I finished it for the second time last summer and the shoulders looked good, but the neck was a little high and snug. This time, I concentrated on the neckline. I did not rip back - I tried to troubleshoot. I needed to create a neckline that would come down like a V and make the neck opening bigger.


I chose to steek and cut. I steeked straight down from the neck edge and cut out the piece from the middle, holding the bottom stitches on a needle.
Then I picked up live stitches along the bottom for the right side and knit up towards the neck nipping a stitch at the side to attach it as I went.

Then the other side.
And then knit around the neck edge to create the neck band.
Lastly, I used the same color as the hem facings and single-crochet stitched the V for a finishing touch.
The final product. My son was kind enough to model it while it was snowing.

And yes, I know the sleeves are too long but he gets to live with it**. Since the hem facings are a different color, it doesn't look too bad if he folds them up. A soak in the tub made the yarn bloom a little and helped 'seat' the stitches. I think this pullover is very flattering on men.

I found out a couple of days ago that a couple of friends, who are fellow knitters, are sending me a very generous gift. My heart welled up, overflowed, and ran down my cheeks for quite a while after I got their message. My heart is still full - I don't have words yet, but I am sure I will have words and pictures soon enough.



I want to thank Lynn at The Raveled Sleeve for awarding me the "You Make My Day" award. Lynn began visiting my blog soon after I started. She has been faithful in leaving me comments, which is something most bloggers appreciate, and supportive of my projects. She is smart and witty, and I admire her zest for life. Thank you, Lynn.


**I could cut the sleeves off just above the hem facing, then knit down and create a new hem facing which, when folded up, would shorten the sleeve. But am I up for it..... I dunno.

4 Comments:

At 1/29/2008 , Blogger Yarnhog said...

Just hearing about people steeking gives me hives. Brave woman. The sweater looks great on him, though!

 
At 1/29/2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH Wow.....great looking sweater....great looking on him!

 
At 1/30/2008 , Blogger MollyKnits said...

Great guy sweater. I am still working on Sly's seemless hybrid. I am not having any difficulties. He is just a big man.

Oh, I figured out what to do with my sock heals. Since they are short row heels, I am going to rip 'em out and do "toe heels" in new yarn. No darning needed. :)

 
At 1/30/2008 , Blogger MollyKnits said...

Yup, I'll just take out the short row heel, and then pick up the stitches and knit a regular toe. I have done it as an afterthought before.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home