9.16.2007

Friends and books and magazines and knitting

I received an early birthday present from a special friend. I despaired of finding "The Knitter's Guide to Sweater Design" when I learned that it was out of print and the only used copy on Amazon at that time was about $80 (not to mention that our library had closed its doors indefinitely). My friend called me Saturday morning to tell me she had found this book at a garage sale not far from my house. I almost hyperventilated while she was telling me.

She not only bought me the book, but she told me how to find the garage sale so I could run down and find more treasures. Isn't she great!! I bought some books and magazines. Two of the books that I bought that I really like are "Knitting Counterpanes" and "The Green Mountain Spinnery Knitting Book". I was pressed for time and had to grab and run, so I bought a few other books that are also inspiring but not my favorites, such as Alice Starmore's "Sweaters for Men" and "The Original Annabel Fox" and some others.
Almost as exciting as the sweater design book were the Interweave Knits magazines. I found 8 back issues that I did not have. I am trying to collect them for my library.

The 2 Rowan magazines were a bonus.

There were also a few international knitter magazines that I had not seen before and a collection of Knitter's magazine that was impressive.

I can't even tell you how little I spent. Lets just say I borrowed $20 from my son as I ran out the door, and I was able to give him change back when I got home.

Here is the Clapotis 'live'....

That is about as good as I get at self portraits.
Recap-
Pattern: Clapotis from Knitty.com
Yarn: Mountain Colors, sport weight.
Yardage: Approximately 600 yards (the yarn was gifted to me and I don't have the tags)
Needles: Size US 8.

An updated picture of Florenz with the re-knit heel in solid green. Much better ....

Ahhhh, autumn. Loving the cooler temperatures.

4 Comments:

At 9/21/2007 , Blogger susan said...

Oh excellent haul! I've just got the new interweave knits, pity it's all US yarn that we can't get here in the UK, all the pictures and adverts look so great.

Oh sorted out the holes in the side of the heel on the sock. I did not twist all three stitches as I was picking them up with the yo s. I did that for the second sock and it worked great.

 
At 9/21/2007 , Blogger susan said...

Oh thank you for the offer Punkin, I shall have to let you know what and when. I know there are some things I would like.

I've just seen really clear instructions on wrapping short rows on the Knit Picks web site, you look on the Knitting Room, and there are instructions listed on the left. I did yarn overs for mine, but I might try the wrapping rows next.

 
At 9/24/2007 , Blogger Violiknit said...

Great garage sale shopping! You got some really great books and mags! I love how the clapotis looks on you; it's so beautiful! I really like the green heel you did for the Florenz.

 
At 9/25/2007 , Blogger Lynn said...

Oh! I *have* that book, along with some of the gold-plated Early Starmores. I'm glad that you were able to get a copy of your own, so reasonably! And congrats on the EZ cover of Knitters. I don't have that one, but I have [I think] every one from the first five years or so.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home