12.16.2009

A day when she had a lot to say about a little

The temperature had dropped to about 15 degrees F (about -8 C) and I could not find my mitts. I am very fond of these mitts, probably more than is rational. Knit out of Australian Merino 6-ply, my hands felt caccooned in soft, cushy warmth. I assumed I had left them behind somewhere and could only hope someone was enjoying them.


I needed another pair of mitts that would go with my jackets, so I pulled out the last of my Memories sock yarn. I bought this on clearance a long time ago. It was a bold red, white, and blue - not a combination I typically wear although I like the colors separately. I put it in a blue dye bath. It toned down the red, turned the white light blue, and added depth to the blues already present.

These mitts look rather silly. But when I put them on...


they are custom fit. The merino feels lovely. I made a long stretch of ribbing at the end so it would hug my fingers to keep them warm.

The ribbing also folds back nicely when I need to use my fingers.

AND I found my first pair of mitts buried underneath the pillows. Yay! Now I have 2 pairs. I guess I should do some Christmas knitting.

Dickens "A Christmas Carol" has been drawing me in. Over the last couple of weeks I have watched several versions on YouTube:
1935 with Seymour Hicks
1938 by MGM
1951 with Alastair Sim
1984 with George C. Scott
1999 with Patrick Stewart (bought the DVD)
and today I watched Mickey's Christmas Carol (why not?!)

Each one shows a slightly different facet to the story. For some reason I don't get bored with it.

ETA: The YarnGeek just reminded me about the Muppet Christmas Carol. Thanks!! I am going to dig through my VHS tapes. I know it is here somewhere......

5 Comments:

At 12/16/2009 , Blogger Chelsea the Yarngeek said...

Love the custom mitts! And don't forget the Muppet Christmas Carol, my personal favorite...

 
At 12/16/2009 , Blogger Judy S. said...

Very cute mitts, both pair. It's really warmed up here.....

 
At 12/17/2009 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We love the Swedish Chief in the Muppet Christmas Carol. We've got the video some where too.

Must see if it's available on DVD as the video is rather ancient and not working very well - at least it was n't a few years ago.

 
At 12/18/2009 , Blogger Violiknit said...

yeay! I'm glad you found your mitts but your new ones are gorgeous! I'm going to be looking forward to NOT going out into the snow this weekend...

 
At 1/26/2010 , Blogger Renna said...

I really like the idea of adding the extra ribbing for increased finger protection. Did you begin the ribbing at the point where you'd normally bind off the pattern? Is it 1x1 rib? They're very pretty. The dye was a great idea!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home