3.30.2008

A Macgyver wannabe

This is my version of a tensioned lazy kate. I used a 1/8-inch wood dowel to hold the bobbins and string to create the 'tension'.

After I finished spinning my first bobbin of singles, I wound it directly onto another bobbin to even it out and set the twist. I think I got the idea from Spinning Jenny's blog. I forgot to do that with my second bobbin of singles. What a difference it makes! When plying the two together, the first bobbin plyed like a dream but the second bobbin gave me fits. Note to self - from now on, wind singles onto another bobbin to even it out and set the twist.

I have an order in for a handcrafted bobbin box that is also a tensioned lazy kate. The gentleman has had some health problems and is busy with shearing, but when the time is right he will build me a beautiful bobbin box. He no longer advertises them but I have seen a picture, and I like it so much that I am happy to wait for it.

5 Comments:

At 3/30/2008 , Blogger Stale Peeps said...

Love the ingenuity, Macgyver would be proud.

 
At 3/31/2008 , Blogger MollyKnits said...

Clever. I want to spin! :(

 
At 4/01/2008 , Blogger Yarnhog said...

Do you wind it onto the second bobbin in the same direction or the opposite direction? (I haven't heard of this method and would like to try it.)

Great lazy kate, too!

 
At 4/03/2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow your clever!! You know you could just buy one for big bucks and then only use it like four times a year.

 
At 4/04/2008 , Blogger Opal said...

Love the improvised Lazy Kate! Very clever. :-D

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home