3.02.2008

Wild and wooly spinning

Mwa-ha-ha. Mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha. Now I know why Dr. Frankenstein laughed like that in his lab. Spinning yarn brings energy to the wool and creates something new. Spinning is serious fun.

This is my first hand spun and my first attempt at plying. Since I had less than a bobbin, I decided to try Andean plying. I used the book "Spin to Knit" as my reference.

Wild and wooly. Hee haw. My perfectionist side has been won over and I am thoroughly enjoying my first hand spun yarn and all of its idiosyncrasies - its resistance to being smooth, even-looking yarn (although that is still my goal).
I haven't bought a niddy-noddy yet, so I wound it off the bobbin around my hand and elbow.
It had a lovely bath and is now hanging. I thought I had put too much twist in it while plying, but now that it is hanging it looks like I didn't put enough in.

6 Comments:

At 3/02/2008 , Blogger Lynn said...

Yes, entirely subversive. I never tried to spin sock yarn, 20+ years ago because I never thought I would be interested in knitting socks. Never say never. And channel Billy Preston as you go [will he go round in circles? will he fly high like a bird up in the sky?]

 
At 3/03/2008 , Blogger Jerry said...

Isn't it funny how when the yarn gets a bath, it relaxes and seems less over twisted. Kind of like people:)

The finished, plied yarn looks wonderful! I see hand spun sock yarn on the horizon.

 
At 3/04/2008 , Blogger Yarnhog said...

A long strip of cardboard also works well as a niddy noddy (but I love my real one, and it only cost $14).

The yarn looks much, much better than my first plied yarn!

 
At 3/04/2008 , Blogger sgeddes said...

The yarn came out great. the plying will get better as you do more of it.

 
At 3/07/2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow you clever thing

 
At 3/18/2008 , Blogger Violiknit said...

Very nice hanspun! I can't wait to see it knit up!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home