2.18.2007

Mittens

I have this project in my head that I just have to get out. I am documenting it as I go. The smart thing to do would be to wait to post everything until afterwards to see if it is a success, but this is my trail of breadcrumbs.

My inspiration comes from many sources: from being curious about types of construction, from needing an opening for the fingers but not wanting a flap, from past adventures in felting, from loving the designs on traditional mittens and also on more contemporary mittens, and many others. This is just a fun adventure, and at the very least I will end up with good utilitarian mittens in one of my favorite colors.

Features I want to incorporate into the mittens: felted hand, opening on palm, shaping for the relaxed curve of the hand, knitted cuffs, needle felting embellishments, and embroidery.

I am starting with the right mitten. Using 6.5 mm needles, cast on 36 stitches in cotton yarn and knit for 3 rows. Then knit in Lamb's Pride for 3 rows.

Start the thumb gusset, increasing after the first knit stitch and then the 3rd (5th, 7th, 9th, 11th, and 13th) stitches, knitting 2 rows betwen increases. Knit 3 rounds even. Knit 2 , then put those 13 gusset stitches on a stitch holder, cast on 3 stitches to bridge the gap, and continue knitting to the end of the round (should have 36 stitches). Remember that on left mitten the thumb gusset is done at the end of the round. Knit 4 rounds.

Knit 4. Knit 15 onto cotton yarn, return to left needle, knit to end of row. (left hand is reversed: knit round to last 19 stitches, knit 15 onto cotton yarn, knit 4). This will be the palm of the hand. Knit 16, wrap next stitch, turn. Purl 13. Wrap & turn. Knit to end of round. Knit 5 rows.

K34, W&T. P11, W&T. Knit to end of round. Knit 4 rows.

K34, W&T, P11, W&T. Knit to end of round.

Knit 8 rounds.

Decrease round. K1, SSK, K12, K2tog, K1. K1, SSK, K12, K2tog, K1.

Knit 2 rounds.

Decrease round. K1, SSK, knit to last 3 stitches on palm, K2tog, K1. K1, SSK, knit to last 3 stitches on back of mitten, K2tog, K 1.

Knit 2 rounds.

Decrease pround.

Knit 1 round.

Decrease round.

Knit 1 round.

Decrease. I should have ended up with 12 stitches but I have 14. Huh.

Draw yarn through remaining stitches.

Put the stitches that are on the holder onto a dpn. Pick up 7 more stitches from thumb hole. Knit 5 rounds. SSK, K1, K2tog, knit to end of round. Knit 7 rounds. K2, K2tog, to end of round. Knit 2 rounds. K2tog to end of round. Knit 1 round. Draw yarn through remaining stitches .

Fun time is over. That was a good start. The left mitten is next, and then they can be felted.

2 Comments:

At 2/19/2007 , Blogger Jerry said...

Love the color choices. I like the partial felted technique. I tried it using a scunci steamer. Let me know how it works out and how you isolate the felting.

 
At 2/19/2007 , Blogger MollyKnits said...

I love to knit mittens. They are the funest! :P

I come from the "I don't need no stinkin' pattern" school of knitting. I also do not take notes. That is why I don't write out patterns most of the time. I should.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home