5.27.2008

Knitting with handspun

I am knitting a garter stitch shawl out of my handspun. There is something deeply satisfying about it. This is my first handspun (other than the first little ball of about 20 yards) and it is very inconsistent. I tried using beads along the yarnovers but the beads were not quite big enough for the fatter sections of yarn. I meant to slip the edge stitches to make the edges smoother but forgot. No worries, though. I still like it. It amazes me how much enjoyment I am getting out of a bag of fiber.

We had a really nice downpour today. I see a nice rain storm as a car-washing opportunity. All I have to do is put a little soap on the mitt and scrub the car down - the rain does the rest. I get a lot of strange looks from the neighbors, but I guess that is not so unusual. I just do things a little different than most around here. Surely I am not alone in my ideas about rain and car washing. I don't think I am that original.

5 Comments:

At 5/27/2008 , Blogger Jerry said...

I have yet to knit with my hand spun but so happy to see you crossing that magical threshold.

We had the hard rain last week but I never thought of washing the car with the lightning. It was very "Green" of you to conserve the water that way.

Thanks for sharing the hand spun, hand knit and I think hand dyed yarn.

 
At 5/28/2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous :-)

I'm counting the days until Rhinebeck and a wheel will come home with me to learn to spin

 
At 6/01/2008 , Blogger Yarnhog said...

It's very satisfying to make a complete project with your own handspun. I've done one sweater and I'm spinning yarn for another, and another multi-skein pile for something, but I don't know what. Maybe I'll follow your example and make a shawl.

 
At 7/26/2008 , Blogger Violiknit said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 7/26/2008 , Blogger Violiknit said...

What a beautiful handspun shawl!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home