1.21.2007

Socktoberfest Socks DONE



Imagine Kermit the Frog yelling 'YAYYYY!'

There are about 400,000 stitches in that pair of socks. These were my first toe-up socks. I did the cast-on at the toe for the magic loop. They were knit on size 1 needles. I used Steinbach Wolle that I bought at a sidewalk sale at the LYS. My own pattern. I knit these for my son who wears a size 12 to 13 shoe. The front of the foot and cuff is knit in garter rib stitch and the back of the cuff is plain 2x2 rib. I expected the garter rib to pull in more than it did. They were definitely a labor of love. Unfortunately, I messed up the heel. I was going to do the short-row heel then panicked because it looked like the heel would be too shallow, so I did a bottom-of-the-heel flap (can you tell I do not use a pattern?). Anyway, you can see in the picture the extra fabric under his heel, and it is much worse than it looks. (Voice in head: I am not a screw-up, not, not!) The worst part was the disappointment in my son's eyes about the wonky heel, but he says he still likes them. I guess they will be house socks. Mistakes are only bad if I don't learn from them. *sigh* The good thing is that the shape of the toe fits him well. I have decided that I am going to use heavier sock yarn and size 2 or 3 needles for my son's socks from now on. And I won't be afraid to use the short-row heel.

3 Comments:

At 1/22/2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If the heel looks too shallow try using more than half the stitches for the heel. Works well for folks with high arches.

 
At 1/22/2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Socktoberfest wasn't a race! My goal was four pairs of socks, I finished three. The fouth pair is around here somewhere, still on the needles. The socks look great.

 
At 1/22/2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure you will never make the same mistakes again even if you're the only one who will notice them. I think they look good anyway.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home