11.06.2009

Trying to make stitches where there was only a gaping hole.


Evidently I am guilty of sock neglect. This has been a sturdy pair of socks, but when the hole happened it took out the whole heel from the bottom of the heel flap to the gusset. Ugh. Learned my lesson. Catch it before the hole happens.

I made a grid out of sock thread (wooly nylon) to stabilize it, and then I began to recreate the heel stitches. Instead of using the same yarn (100% merino), I decided to make the patch using sock yarn that has nylon in it.

My finger hurts. I think I need a thimble before I start the next one.

I recently had a sock wash (I tend to do them all at once). It was an opportunity to inspect my flock of socks and compare the durability of the yarns I have used.

My first socks were knit out of Opal sock yarn about 4 years ago and they are still going strong. No pilling. My hands don't like to knit with it, though. If feels stringy.

Regia - a great sock yarn that is durable and has minimal pilling. This yarn feels great on my feet. I understand why it has such a loyal following.

KnitPicks Memories sock yarn, sadly discontinued. Going strong after 3 years. The socks have felted a little on the sole and the yarn pills a little, but the socks hold their shape. One heel is starting to get a little thin.

SeaWool - Yummy yarn. Holds up amazingly well. No pilling. I want more.

There are luxury yarns that I like but are not as durable as these, so those are for "special" socks. And then there are a couple others where the yarn faded, looks yucky, and doesn't feel all that great, so they get worn as house socks. Wool is wool, after all, and still does its job of keeping my feet cozy.

1 Comments:

At 11/08/2009 , Blogger Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

That looks like a darning egg you have! A useful tool to have around.

I've found that Lornas laces sock yarn wears pretty well. The merino wool socks I've knit don't wear well at all but are a pleasure to knit.

I love the sweater you designed! Good luck on writing the pattern up.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home