9.28.2006

Skinny Scarf knitted with Oh My



Yarn: 'Oh My' by Plymouth Yarns, 1 ball of each color
Needles: Size 10-1/2
Stitch: The woven stitch

I love the woven stitch and I like the idea of a skinny scarf with lengthwise stripes. I cast on 400 stitches and began experimenting with the 4 colors I chose. If I do it again I will probably go to 500 stitches to make the scarf even longer. I was concerned about the bind off making a tight edge. I started bind off in pattern with a size 13 needle. I noticed it still tended to create a curve in the scarf, so I went up to a size 15 needle for bind off and that seemed to solve the problem. The attraction to the Oh My for me was the lovely texture and the colors. It is a nylon yarn that is constructed out of a chain - like a crocheted chain - and so I had to be very careful about splitting the yarn because if the threads break they will unravel. I used Denise needles but my LYS recommended bamboo needles for this yarn. It was a fun project because I loved touching the yarn and I enjoyed watching the pattern made by the woven stitch.

6 Comments:

At 9/29/2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, I like it, really like the colorway. I saw them do something similar on Knitty Gritty, but yours is nicer!

 
At 10/02/2006 , Blogger Jerry said...

The colors are magnificent. Reminds me a little of Italian spumoni ice cream. I haven’t tried the knitting lengthwise style yet but you may be inspiring me to give it a shot. The large needles are good for a quick knit. What do you think of the Denise needles? I just bought the knit pics version because they were similar to the addi style even though I still prefer the wooden needles over all others. Thanks so very much for sharing the pictures.

 
At 10/02/2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woven stitch was a good choice for your scarf - it looks great. I'm very interested in your silicone soles for the felted clogs too. I have that pattern somewhere...

 
At 10/02/2006 , Blogger Punkin said...

Hi Jerry -
I like the Denise needles. The yarn does not hang up on the join, and I like the versatility and convenience of having a whole set; I consider it one of my best purchases. I use Addi's for sox because I knit magic-loop style and need the smooth join and finish. But as far as my favorite needle simply to hold, touch, and look at.... I choose wood, and I think I am beginning to get attached to rosewood or ebony. *sigh*

 
At 10/03/2006 , Blogger MollyKnits said...

I love long skinny scarves.

 
At 10/05/2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Punkin, I must offer some caution, there is no coming back when you venture to the Rosewood & Ebony needles. I use Ebony 60% and Rosewood 30& and Addi or Knit Picks circular the balance of the time. Try Susanne's and you will never look back and if you ever have a opportunity try the Holz & Stein, they are the ultimate in wood needle knitting. Warm in the hands but the speed of Addi Turbos. You do need to care for you needles a little more than bamboo or plastic but it's well worth it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home